You are here: Local Attractions » Historic Wentworth
Just a short 30 minute drive from Gol Gol, you will find the historic town of Wentworth, where the Murray and Darling Rivers converge.
- View the merging of the rivers from the observation tower at Junction Park and marvel at the different colour of the water from these two rivers.
- Visit the Old Wharf, once the scene of busy river trade on the Darling River and the Captain John Egge Memorial, just a short walk from the main street.
- Visit the authentic 1907 heritage paddle steamer, the PS Ruby at her mooring in Fotherby Park. Public access between 9.30am and 2pm on Tuesdays or guided tours by appointment, phone 03 5027 5080.
- If you are interested in pioneer heritage machinery, Fotherby Park also has an interesting range including a ‘drop log’ homestead, an original Chaffey Brothers steam powered tractor, and the iconic ‘grey Fergie’ the saviour of the town in the 1956 flood event.
- History buffs will enjoy the Wentworth Rotary Pioneer Museum and ‘The Old Gaol’.
- The Wentworth Military Collection displays over 125 years of military service from all over the world, experienced by their advanced Self Guided Audio Tour. Entry fee applies.
- River Boat Rod’s Model Paddle Steamer display has over 30 hand crafted and detailed, to scale models of paddle steamers of the past. Open Wednesday to Sunday 10am to 4pm. Free entry.
Book your self contained accommodation or caravan/camping site here at Rivergardens Holiday Park, just 30 minutes drive from historic Wentworth.
Photo credits: Destination NSW